Best Food Safety Tips Which Can Change Your Life
Food safety is one topic which is neglected by most of us. Whereas, in contrary it is one of the most important aspects of our daily life. Our health is should always be in at top of our priority list if we wish to fulfill all the items in that list. Today we will talk about the best food safety practices that you need to follow in order to make sure you and your family stays absolutely healthy.
Buying quality food for all!
- Always buy fresh food from a reliable supplier in a clean premise.
- Always make sure that you check the expiry dates of raw material and processed food before purchasing.
- Make sure you do not buy products which are damaged, dented, puffed or leaking. This is biggest food safety mistake one can do.
Cleanliness is always necessary!
- Always wash your cutting boards, dishes, utensils & counter tops with soap & hot water before and after cooking. Always use separate cutting boards for fruits/vegetables and items like raw meat, poultry or seafood.
- Always make sure that you do not use cutting boards with cracks or scars.
- Make sure that you keep your refrigerator clean and dry.
- Always clean the lids of canned foods with a clean cloth before opening.
- Make it a point that you wash your kitchen cloth towels daily with soap and hot water and dry them before using. Remember damp and dirty towels are excellent breeding grounds for harmful bacteria.
- Regularly clean kitchen sink drains thoroughly with warm water and cleaning soap as they could turn into the habitat of harmful bacteria.
- Make sure you don’t leave food around in open as it may attract insects, bacteria or vermin.
- Never allow pets in the kitchen as they carry harmful bacteria. Keep kitchen free of insects and pests.
Food should always be stored correctly!
- You have to make sure that you do not leave cooked food at room temperature for more than two hours at any given moment.
- It is advisable that to store food in covered containers in the refrigerator or freezer if needed.
- One of the main points of food safety NEVER over-stuff the refrigerator or freezer. Good airflow has to be maintained inside the refrigerator and it is important for effective cooling and keeping food safe.
- Always keep the refrigerator temperature at or below 5 °C.
- Make sure you separate raw meat, poultry, seafood and eggs from other food in your grocery bags and in your refrigerator to keep food safety intact.
- Always refrigerate or freeze meat, poultry, eggs, seafood and other perishables within a span of 2 hours of cooking or purchasing the material and in summers do it even sooner.
- Make sure you separate raw and cooked food so that authenticity remains intact.
- Always make it a point that you clean and clear the refrigerator regularly to ensure that the stored food is either used or removed
Defrost is an important part of Food Safety!
- Always make it a point that you never melt food at room temperature. Defrost food either in refrigerated cold water or in the microwave.
- Prepare food immediately after defrosting.
- Keeping meat and seafood in the refrigerator while marinating is a good habit.
Never serve partially cooked food!
- Always make sure that you use safe water and fresh raw material to cook or prepare food.
- Cook food with patience to kill all the germs which are present so that they don’t cause food poisoning.
- If you are not sure about whether drinking water is safe or not, always boil water for at least 5 minutes.
When food is finally ready to eat!
- Always make sure that you serve food while it is hot.
- Do not forget to refrigerate leftover cooked food within two hours.
- Take care of this that before consuming refrigerator food, reheat thoroughly above 75 °C minimum this will kill any possible bacteria.
- If you are not sure about the duration your leftovers have been in the refrigerator, do not eat that food.
Always maintain personal hygiene!!!
- Make it a habit to wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before and after having food. Always dry it up with a paper towel or clean cloth after washing.
- Always make sure you wear disposable gloves if you have a cut or sore on fingers and you are about to handle food.
- Never try to cook if you are suffering from breathing illness.
In the end we would like to mention that food safety is one of the most important measures that we need to take, if we are want to live a healthy and happy life. Never neglect these points mentioned above as they are your way to healthy life