In today’s world Corrosion of metals is one of the most talked about topics in the oil and gas industry.
Corrosion has been one of the biggest problems of all time, scientists, researchers & manufactures they all have tried all sorts of methods and tricks, but no one could come with a permanent solution or methods to prevent corrosion.
Corrosion has been the primary cause of many accidents and deaths related to them. As the industry is progressing there are many corrosion resistant metals which are brought in action, the results haven’t been that satisfactory but definitely there are some improvements.
Today, we will tell you 5 mind freezing things that you need to know about corrosion of metals if you are looking to survive in this industry!
3 Facts that you Definitely Need to know about Corrosion of Metals
- Factors that cause accelerated failures due to corrosion involve oxygen, trapped water and air, high temperatures, increased or accelerated activity.
- Corrosion is measured in three different levels – Little, Medium & Considerable Corrosion.
- There are many risk associated with corrosion of metals – Structure & Property Risk, Business Continuity Risk, Repair & Replacement Cost and Life Safety Risk
Now I understand that it may seem like you know all these point or some of them already, but there is so much more, which these topics cover.
Now let us talk about each one of them in depth!
Factors that cause accelerated failures due to corrosion of metals involve oxygen, trapped water and air, high temperatures, increased or accelerated activity.
No matter which metal it is, no matter where you are and no matter methods to prevent corrosion you follow, at the end of the day corrosion would only by caused by oxygen, or trapped air and water, accelerated activity or high temperatures.
- Oxygen is one of the most reactive gases on the planet which react with every metal and corrosion of metals initiates
- Trapped water and air contains high intensity of oxygen which then react with the local area of the metal and thus becomes the cause of corrosion
- Every time the temperature of an metal exceed a certain amount of tolerance due the pressure on it and air in that area, metal reacts with other elements and thus corrosion of metals
- Last but not the least accelerated activity. This is one of the most common reason due to which all prevention of corrosion methods fail, people are tend to over use the machine which causes the wearing and tearing of the machine and thus that leaves the metal in an unguarded state and an obvious feast for the bacteria in the air.
Corrosion is measured in three different levels – Little, Medium & Considerable Corrosion.
Well just like everything else the earlier you detect corrosion, the better it is and for every stage we have a category for you!
- Little corrosion – now this is no rocket science to understand that this is the first stage of corrosion, this is where the anti corrosion coating starts wearing off! If you detect it here one can prevent further corrosion and rusting
- Medium corrosion – this is the second stage where oxygen and other agents start reacting with the metal and start the affecting the core of the metal
- Considerable corrosion – it is the final stage of corrosion and most often it is this stage where majority of people notice corrosion of metal. At this stage corrosion has reached the core and affected the core majorly.
There are many risk associated with corrosion of metals – Structure & Property Risk, Business Continuity Risk, Repair & Replacement Cost and Life Safety Risk
It is quite evident that corrosion of metal will bring a lot of risks.
- Structure and property risk – as the metal body corrode, it defaces the structure of the metal and if not rectified at the right time, It can make permanent damage.
- Business continuity risk – if not fixed on time this may cause risk at a level where companies may think of changing their line of work.
- Repair and Replacement Cost – if your anti corrosion coating has worn off and you are at a level of considerable corrosion, you might consider buying a new replacement for that part.
- Life Safety Risk – well this is one of the most serious risks associated with corrosion of metals. Companies spend a bomb in order to make sure such an incident doesn’t matter.
Well to be honest, this list may go on forever. We wish we could give you every tiny information related to it but fortunately we have a solution here. You can join this ultra knowledgeable program by clicking here.
In the end I would conclude by saying that the more you will treat this issue of corrosion of metals seriously , the more you will be able to benefit your company.